Affiliates History ~ The LA Phil Affiliates have supported the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra for nearly a century, evolving alongside the orchestra and remaining among its most dedicated and involved patrons. In 1923, the Women’s Committee was formed and became the first organized supporting group of the LA Phil. Over the years, additional committees were established as the orchestra began performing "run-out" concerts throughout the greater Los Angeles area. Members of the various committees sold concert tickets, hosted fundraising events, and provided volunteer service to help promote the orchestra and encourage financial support for the LA Philharmonic. In 1967, the autonomous committees came under the umbrella of the LA Phil Affiliates. There are currently 16 committees and 700+ members.
Foothill Philharmonic Committee ~ 1957- Dorothy Chandler attends a tea at the Claremont home of Mary and Millard Sheets and asks participants to form a Philharmonic committee in support of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. 1958- The Foothill Philharmonic Committee is founded by Marion Ballou, the Committee's first president. Twenty-five women from the area joined and the organization becomes the 13th Affiliate. 1973- The Committee begins Music Mobile™ presentations introducing orchestra instruments and providing hands-on experiences for third graders in local elementary schools. to present- For over 60 years the Foothill Philharmonic Committee has provided strong financial support for the LA Phil, enriched the music education of community youth, and provided outstanding musical programming and lectures.